Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 08:01:18 -0600
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <brandon@dvalentine.com>
To:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: New technologies in FreeBSD 5.x vs. 4.x

[ Bcc'd to -current following initial crosspost.  Followups to -hackers
or directly to Mr. Penisoara. ]

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 03:17:15PM +0200, Adrian Penisoara wrote:

> Where can I find a (preferrably detailed) list of the new technologies
> introduced with FreeBSD 5.x ?

Greetings Adrian,

The most significant new features are listed in the Release
Announcement[0].  There is greater detail available in the Release Notes
under "What's New"[1].

> I would also like, if possible, to get in touch with a few of the main
> developers that took charge of coding them.

You can contact the person listed as MAINTAINER in the Makefile for the
part of the source tree you are concerned with.  If there is no
MAINTAINER listed, a quick trip through CVSWeb[2] will reveal who has
been the most active committer to that section of the tree.  I would, of
course, recommend courtesy and patience when approaching FreeBSD
develoeprs for an interview.  Most of them are quite busy.

[0] - http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/announce.html
[1] - http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/relnotes-i386.html
[2] - http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/

Good luck,

Brandon D. Valentine
--
brandon@dvalentine.com                                 http://www.geekpunk.net

"We've been raised on replicas of fake and winding roads, and day after day up
on this beautiful stage we've been playing tambourine for minimum wage, but we
are real; I know we are real."  -- David Berman