Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:22:31 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2nd printer

Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke> types:
> * Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> [20010214 17:54]: writing on the subject 'Re: 2nd printer'
> Mike> Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru> types:
> Mike> > Is it possible to connect 2 parallel printers to regular x86 box somehow?
> Mike>
> Mike> Yes. Buy a USB<->parallel connector instead of a parallel cable, and
> Mike> use that to plug the second printer into a USB port. Works like a
> Mike> charm, and the USB throughput is better than the parallel throughput.

> That assertion taunts me because I have compiled a kernel that supports
> USB (ulpt) but my HP DeskJet will not respond to my orders even after
> configuring the printcap nicely.
> Doesn't it just suffice that when I attach the printer with the USB
> cable it gets detected and that I only need to change the port from
> lpt0 to ulpt0 in printcap??

Almost - you have to make /dev/ulpt0 with /dev/MAKEDEV. You should
check dmesg to make sure that your system is detecting ulpt0:

ulpt0: Belkin Components (2nd) F5U002 Parallel printer adapter, rev 1.00/1.04, addr 2, iclass 7/1
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

and you should be fine.

You might check to make sure that the USB controller isn't using the
same IRQ as something else, it doesn't seem to like it.

	<mike