Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 10:48:30 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Dirk Froemberg <dirk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www/mod_php3 Makefile pkg-plist ports/www/mod_php4 Makefile pkg-plist

On Thu, 24 May 2001 14:41:49 MST, Dirk Froemberg wrote:

> dirk        2001/05/24 14:41:49 PDT
>
>   Modified files:
>     www/mod_php3         Makefile pkg-plist
>     www/mod_php4         Makefile pkg-plist
>   Log:
>   Don't restart apache, i. e. don't start if not running.
>   It seems to cause problems for some users.

I think it's a very good idea for ports to never ever start the software
they install.  The reason is simple.

Often, people will install from ports or packages before they've read
the documentation.  They expect to get the documentation along with the
port or package, and indeed they do.  However, starting the software
before they've had a chance to read the documentation and make any local
changes to configuration files etc. could end up causing trouble.

The mail/exim port is a good example of the paradigm I like.
It installs an exim.sh into etc/rc.d/ but it only installs a
configure.sample file.  The Exim software will fail to start until the
operator copies (and possibly edits) configure.sample to its correct
(and documented) name, configure.

Ciao,
Sheldon.