Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:11:41 -0400
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Paul Everlund" <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
Cc:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Periodic mails

The connection attempt message you see in your /var/log/messages is
generated by the log-in-vain rc.conf option because you do not have
software listening on port 25 the pop3 server front door.
Do you have qpopper installed?
Do nslookup 192.168.0.5 to see what that ip address is.
In 4.6 the sendmail program was updated to a newer release level.
If you are using some other MTA as a replacement for sendmail then you
must use sendmail_enable="NONE" to totally deactivate the sendmail MTA.
Your periodic mails are generated by CRON, not the MTA. The MTA just
delivers the mail and acts as the post office. Look in your MTA log for
messages which may point you to the real reason your periodic mails
are being not delivered. The periodic mails default to user root,
are you checking the correct?