Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:32:40 -0500
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern/186304: watchdog service causes BMC controller reset every 20-30 minutes on Supermicro X9DRW-3F

>Number:         186304
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       watchdog service causes BMC controller reset every 20-30 minutes on Supermicro X9DRW-3F
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD d06.m1e.net 10.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE #1 r261210: Tue Jan 28 10:36:57 EST 2014 vivek@devbox.int.kcilink.com:/n/yertle1/sources/usr10/obj/n/yertle1/sources/usr10/src/sys/KCI64 amd64

I have a pair of brand new servers on SuperMicro X9DRW-3F motherboards with
256GB of RAM. They have the latest BIOS (3.0a) and BMC controller (2.19.0)
firmware.

I run a custom kernel with the IPMI driver compiled in, detected as follows:

 kernel: ipmi0: <IPMI System Interface> port 0xca2,0xca3 on acpi0
 kernel: ipmi0: KCS mode found at io 0xca2 on acpi
 kernel: ipmi0: IPMI device rev. 1, firmware rev. 2.19, version 2.0
 kernel: ipmi0: Number of channels 3
 kernel: ipmi0: Attached watchdog

The FreeBSD watchdog causes the BMC controller to reboot every 20-30 minutes,
logging this in the system log:

 kernel: ipmi0: KCS: Failed to read command
 kernel: ipmi0: KCS error: 09

where the error number varies. At this time, the virtual USB keyboard that the
BMC provides for the remote console disappears and reappears as well. There
are otherwise no ill effects on the running FreeBSD system.

>How-To-Repeat:

Start the watchdog service (/etc/rc.d/watchdog start) and wait 30 minutes.
System load has no effect. It can be an idle server or running heavy duty.

>Fix:

Do not run watchdog, or disable IPMI driver, or both.

As a side not, I notice that watchdog does not run on any of my systems that
do not have IPMI. This probably should be mentioned in the watchdog(8) man
page.