Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:39:44 -0800
From:      "Daxbert" <daxbert_news@dweebsoft.com>
To:        <freeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   mdconfig, cd9660 and mount -o rw

I'm aware that under normal circumstances, cd9660 should
always be read-only, but I was hoping I'd be able to make
changes to an iso image, and then burn the modified image.

The image is bootable, and I'm looking to avoid "breaking"
the bootable nature of the CD by my inept use of mkisofs.

Here's what I've tried...

(as root)
# chown root:wheel /tmp/mycd.iso
# chmod 666 /tmp/mycd.iso
# mkdir /mnt/cd
# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /tmp/mycd.iso -u 1
# mount -t cd9660 -o rw /dev/md1 /mnt/cd

This works, and /mnt/cd is the iso's filesystem.
However, the rw argument is ignored. Any actions which would
write to the iso image fail with "Read-only file system".

The mount command also shows...

/dev/md1 on /mnt/cd (cd9660, local, read-only)

Suggestions? or should I just RTFM on mkisofs and bootable CDs

--daxbert