Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:10:30 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Antuan Avdioukhine <root@eltex.spb.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RELEASE-2.2.2 to stable clone upgrade

Antuan Avdioukhine wrote:

> Hi!
>
>    I'm the beginner in FreeBSD usage,

	Welcome. :) We all started somewhere.

> so I expirienced an problem.
> Now I'm using FreeBSD RELEASE-2.2.2. Sometime ago I dl'ed source of
> FreeBSD-stable version (/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/src/*). I dl'ed
> sources only because my free dialup IP connectivity is poor, and
> another dialup too expencive, so I cannot use an ftp-based installation
> or upgrading procedure.

	That's fine, I actually prefer the make world method over other
methods.

> When I tried to 'make world' under 2.2.2 I
> got some error messages during compiling (such as bad fileld names in
> timeval-typed structures in fsck.c and newfs.c).

	Ok, it sounds like the sources you downloaded are not the most up to
date. You want to point your ftp at releng22.freebsd.org, go to
pub/FreeBSD and then go to the directory with the latest
2.2.6-<INSERTDATEHERE>-BETA. I can guarantee you that these sources will
compile.

	It might help you to have step by step instructions for this process. I
have a web page that is a rewrite of the old "upgrade from source"
tutorial, and it also has a link to the new page on it now. Check out
http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/upgrade.html and let me know if that's
helpful for you. You want to pay particular attention to the section
that talks about using the -CLOBBER flag since you're upgrading from a
much older release.

Good luck,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest