Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 09:12:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      HCI <bohandas@best.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Funny Page Fault

Whenever I ifconfig my Intel Ether Express I get a page fault in 2.1.5.
The board passes all diagnostics, including network diagnostics.  Here is
the ifconfig I used:

ifconfig ix0 inet 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2
.

It may be stupid but it doesn't appear to be worthy of bringing down the
system.

Possibly related:  When I activate ix0 in my kernel, I get a funny message
right after the last driver, npx0, runs.  It reads:

"
 ixintr without being inited!!".

I added the double quotes to show the HR and the space.

The EPROM on the board was set using a DOS boot disk, and the Intel softset
program.  It auto configured to IRQ 5, and I configured the thing with:

irq ix0 5

in the kernel config phase.

Please give me some tips.

By the way:

Why do devices for hard drives, and serial ports and such have different
device names in the kernel config, than in the dev file, but for network
boards the interface is named the same as the kernel device name ie enable
ix0 activates interface ix0, but activating sio1 enables tty0, and cuaa1 or
whatever.  Is there an entry in the device file for the network boards?

Thanks