Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2006 13:08:50 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   if_rl VLAN support in RELENG_4

Hello!

   In RELENG_4, RealTek 8129/8139 driver rl(4) doesn't claim VLAN support
(when I assign vlandev rl0, my vlan device initially gets mtu 1496). In
modern (e.g. RELENG_6) systems if_rl claims native VLAN support. I've
tried setting 'ifconfig vlan0 mtu 1500' for rl-based vlan device, and
resulting interface Just Works (TM) (1500-byte packets trasmit and receive
correctly via such a vlan). So is it safe to use vlan with 'vlandev rl0'
and 'mtu 1500' in RELENG_4? Has anyone observed any ill-effects in such
a configuration? Would it be simple enough for if_rl in RELENG_4 to
just announce native VLAN support to the system?

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua