Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 16:45:47 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.org, jmd526@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, n_hibma@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: USB difficulties

Hi:

The FreeBSD Faq (Chapter 2. Hardware compatibility, Q: I have a USB
keyboard. Does FreeBSD support it?) may have some typos.  It states:

>1.Use FreeBSD 3.2 or later.
>
>   2.Add the following lines to your kernel configuration file, and
> >rebuild the kernel.
>
>         controller      uhci0
>         controller      ohci0
>         controller      usb0
>         controller      ukbd0
>         options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV

has "controller" been changed to "device"?  is KBD_INSTALL_CDEV needed on a
4.0 system?  I didn't see it in GENERIC (which contains a bunch of usb
devices and options commented out)

>   3.Go to the /dev directory and create device nodes as follows:
>
>         # cd /dev
>         # ./MAKEDEV kbd0 kbd1
>
>   4.Edit /etc/rc.conf and add the following lines:
>
>         usbd_enable="YES"
>         usbd_flags=""
>
>After the system is rebooted, the AT keyboard becomes /dev/kbd0 and
>the USB keyboard becomes /dev/kbd1, if both are connected to the
>system. If there is the USB keyboard only, it will be /dev/ukbd0.
                                                  !---------^--!

"ukbd" is not consistent with the rest of this FAQ entry.  This is a typo?

>If you want to use the USB keyboard in the console, you have to
>explicitly tell the console driver to use the existence of the USB
>keyboard. This can be done by running the following command as a part
>of system initialization.
>
>    # kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 < /dev/ttyv0 > /dev/null
>
>Note that if the USB keyboard is the only keyboard, it is accessed as
>/dev/kbd0, thus, the command should look like:

FYI: For USB mouse support, the FAQ asks that the following be added to the
above steps:

>2.Add the following lines to your kernel configuration file
>
>         device      ums0
>
>   3.Go to the /dev directory and create a device node as follows:
>
>         # cd /dev
>         # ./MAKEDEV ums0
>
>   4.Edit /etc/rc.conf and add the following lines:
>
>         moused_enable="YES"
>         moused_type="auto"
>         moused_port="/dev/ums0"
>         moused_flags=""
>
>     See the previous section for more detailed discussion on moused.
>
>   5.In order to use the USB mouse in the X session, edit XF86Config.
>If you are using XFree86 3.3.2 or later, be sure to have the
>following lines in the
>     Pointer section:
>
>         Device     "/dev/sysmouse"
>         Protocol    "Auto"

Is this the right place to look for instructions?  Are these instructions
correct (up to date)? I looked in the handbook and did a search but the FAQ
was the best that I found (there are no instructions in the handbook, as far
as I can see)

Thanks for your help.

John