Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 2009 09:47:27 +0100
From:      Jakub Bednar <jakub.bednar@avg.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Diverting sockets and streams

Hi Julian,

                   thanks for making this clear to me.

>> so basically I have to implement part of the TCP stack in my app.
>
> yes,
> though there may be other ways to do what you want..
> what DO you want to do?

I need to make a transparent proxy e.g. HTTP proxy, that will be able
to scan the data stream for some security problems (exploits or
whatever).

I had a solution based on packet forwarding and packet UID matching
rather then divert sockets. This solution works fine on FreeBSD, Linux
and Mac OS X Leopard. Hovewer in the new Mac OS X Snow Leopard,
forwarding outgoing packets to local port does not work. So I'm
looking for another solution.

Jakub