Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:19:00 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Roman Katsnelson <rkatsnel@globix.com>, Valentinos Kontoyiannis <valman@spidernet.com.cy>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: man pages

On Wednesday,  9 December 1998 at 15:41:23 +0000, Roman Katsnelson wrote:
> Valentinos Kontoyiannis wrote:
>>
>> hello,
>> do you know where can i find unix man pages printed (books, etc.)
>
> Almost all the man pages are in the Complete FreeBSD by Greg
> Lehey (you get this with the Walnut Creek CDROM distribution).

Well, not, in fact CFBSD contains less than 20% of the man pages.  For
those of you who don't know it, this translates to about 1000 pages;
the total man pages would be about 5,500 pages.

> Alternatively, you can get a ridiculous amount of man pages on
> the FreeBSD site. They even have pages for ports there. And you
> can print those if you need to, I guess. 'Course, you can also
> print your man pages right from your system.

If you want printed man pages, I'd strongly recommend printing them
out as you go.  I don't know anybody who would read 5,500 pages, and
we're planning to remove most if not all man pages from the next
edition of CFBSD.  You can print a man page in ASCII with

  man <page> | lpr

If you have a PostScript printer, you can use the -t option to man to
print it in PostScript.

Greg