Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 20:23:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, Remy Nonnenmacher <remy@synx.com>, grog@lemis.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Volume managers (was: Separate boot partition?)

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Brian Feldman wrote:

:On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
:> On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Remy Nonnenmacher wrote:
:> > On  8 Apr, Greg Lehey wrote:
:> > > On Thursday,  8 April 1999 at  8:52:24 +0100, Dom Mitchell wrote:
:> > >> What about shrinking an fs?  Is that feasible?  Possible?
:> > >
:> > > According to Kirk McKusick, no.
:> > >
:> > too bad !!
:I think he meant maybe adding more RAID volumes :) As per earlier in the
:thread, resizing is a ffs issue, not ufs. Resizing an FFS would definitely
:be hard but not _impossible_. What exactly did Kirk say?

I was looking at ffs, and I think you could do it.  I have much better things
to do with my sanity, and think that a filesystem needs to have resizing as a
design criteria to be able to this usefully, especially if you want to be able
to do it online.

David Scheidt