Date:      21 Oct 1999 17:29:41 +0200
From:      Kent Boortz <kent@erlang.ericsson.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound applications for FreeBSD?

I have some old casettes with live music and want to transfer it to
audio CD and to MP3 files.

What free FreeBSD applications are you using to

        record the sound to disk? Prefer AIFF format but other
        formats are ok.

        adjust volume of the sampled data?

        adjust tone, maybe a digital equalizer?

        remove hiss and other defects?

        split into separate tracks? (I don't know if I justs
        can mark in the file where to insert the track starts or
        if I need to split the file to separate files.)

        record a music CD using my Yamaha CD-RW burner? I think it
        can do disk-at-once with the proper software.

        convert to MP3 files?

I'm using FreeBSD stable updating with cvsup and a SoundBlaster PCI128.

I have looked around for applications to record and edit the sound,
most of them Linux binaries, but have had tons of problems (DAP
crashes my machine for example). Others install ok but are not
suitable for working with large files.

Any suggestions, hints or pointers are welcome,

kent