Date:      31 Dec 1996 19:33:18 +0100
From:      ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Thomas David Rivers)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   CHECKSUM.MD5 values for 2.2-BETA (they seem to have gone missing.)

I'm in the process of piece-meal downloading 2.2-BETA.   Every now-and-then,
I like to make sure I'm getting the right bits, and need something to
check against.

I was wondering if we should provide the MD5 checksums in each of the
sub-directories; or a single file somewhere to validate downloads.

The CHECKSUM.MD5 files were present in 2.1.6(.1) - but they don't
seem to be there in 2.2-BETA (in either the 'bin' or 'src' subdirectories.)

Is there now a new/improved mechanism for addressing this problem?

Problems I typically encounter are not related to bad bits as much
as missing files... so, a file list, if nothing else; would be appreciated.

Now - you should ask "why don't you just get 2.2-BETA.tar; you'd know
then that you had everything."  Well - I usually try that, but it seems
ftp.freebsd.org isn't "connected" long enough to get it moved down
(about 6 hours, I'd guess) - after a large chunk is transferred, I
inevitably get a message from ftp saying the remote service is no
longer available.  So, then, I extract the large chunk and try to
make up the difference, which is why some files have the potential to
go missing.

I did stumble into the "*.inf" files - have these replaced the CHECKSUM.MD5?
They seem to use the older (non MD5) checksum... not that it would really
matter...  Also, the "*.inf" files don't describe every file in the
directory; only the files that are part of the distribution (i.e. "install.sh"
wouldn't be listed in "bin.inf").  So, it still doesn't tell me if
I've left something behind.

	- Thanks -
	- Dave Rivers -