Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 1994 01:35:38 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, julian@jules.DIALix.oz.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEVFS on FreeBSD 2.0

>1/ at device probe time, 'time' has not been initialised.. so any devices
>that are placed into the devfs at boot time end up with creation times
>of Jan 1 1970.. (time.tv_sec == time.tv_usec == 0).
>Is there a reason that the RTC can't be read earlier?

I've just been looking at the clock initializaton order.  I moved
initialization of the RTC later :-).  It's still before the RTC date
is read, but after all the non-clock devices have been initialized.
There's nothing to stop reading it earlier, but if the RTC is on
local time then it's hard to adjust it earlier.  It could be adjusted
at mountroot() time using a value read from the disk.

Bruce