Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:53:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mr. K." <bsd@inbox.org>
To:        Charlie Schloemer <charlie@infoworks.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Usselmann.M@gmx.net
Subject:   Re: DSL access with PPPoE

no...  many ADSL providers use PPP over ethernet for authentication.  The
DSL modem will not perform the PPP, in order to do this in hardware, you
need a DSL router, such as the Linksys Etherfast DSL router, which has
PPPoE support.  This is what I have at my home ADSL through Bell Atlantic,
anyway.  Unfortunately, I cannot answer the poster's original question, as
I've tried this with FreeBSD and eventually gave up and bought the
Etherfast.  Sorry.