Date:      Fri, 04 Jan 2002 08:37:35 +0800
From:      Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw question

At 14:39 03/01/2002 -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:

>You cannot use 'fwd' to forward packets to a different port on another
>host.

It's not forwarding to a different port as such, but the same port on
another host.

> > ipfw add 90 fwd 1.1.1.1,100 tcp from localhost to any 100 out
>
>There are a two problems here. First, specifying the port in the 'fwd'
>command is meaningless if 1.1.1.1 is a remote host. Second, do you
>really want to redirect packets with a source IP address of 127.0.0.1?
>Those should never go over the wire.

It was only an example. In the case of

ipfw add 90 fwd 1.1.1.1,100 tcp from 2.2.2.2 to any 100 out

Would this work? It doesn't appear to when I added the rule and tested it.

>Not being "filtered?" I suspect that you are actually trying to do NAT
>or the like here?

I'll do some reading up on NAT to see if that's the case.

Thanks for your help so far. :-)

Regards,

d.