Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:56:04 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Dragon Knight" <dragonknight@dtgnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 CD

"Dragon Knight" writes:
> Ummm...   can't burn stuff with Rockridge extentions
> under windows...     ;)

Why not? What crumby software are you using? (ok, we already know
Windows is one...)

> I also have a P75 here w/ 400Megs off HDD space
> that has 2.2.6-RELEASE on it.  my CD-R is an IDE
> model.   would it be easier to just install FreeBSD
> on 2 gigs or so of this machine and burn the CD
> from my DOS partition or cvsup to 3.0 on my little
> machine and install over the network?

Why don't you just shoot a copy of the 3.0 stuff over to the 2G disk,
create a boot floppy, boot said boot floppy, then point it to the
partition with the rest of 3.0 on it and install disk to disk?

If the network is fast enough for you, you could install directly from
WC or a mirror. Or its pretty easy to network install off one of your
own machines. I have a 4MB 386SX16 in a luggable case (plasma display
folds down and everything!) with a minimal 2.1.0 installed on its 850MB
IDE HD. I sorta think of this machine as a "network cdrom" altho it
doesn't have a CDROM, it does have the worlds worst (worst that
actually works) 8 bit 3-Com ethernet card. Perfectly good for doing
network installs (if you remember to select "slow NFS" as 1k network
packets are the limit for this card and system). Perfectly good system
to haul to a friend's house for an installation party back in the bad
old days before I had access to a CD-R.