Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:22:52 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Perry Lucas <perry@vt.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting a primary dos drive

Perry Lucas:
 |I having a problem trying to mount a primary dos partition.
 |I am typing the following:
 |
 |mount -t dos /dev/wd1 /dos
 |mount -t msdos /dev/wd1 /dos
 |
 |I get invalid arguements.
 |
 |The drive is my D: in dos and is one primary parition in size.  I
 |really need to be able to mount this so I can copy over the
 |latest XFree8632a.  (The fix for the Diamond Stealth 3000 3D

mount -t msdos /dev/wd1s1 /dos

For just reading you should be fine, but depending on which FreeBSD version
you're running you may not want to write on the drive from FreeBSD.  If
you've FIPSed your DOS drive, I wouldn't even let FreeBSD touch it as its
not downsizing the clustersize can cause FreeBSD real problems.  At the
very least, mount it read-only.

I've mounted my DOS drives read/write since 2.1, never used FIPS, and
haven't had any trouble reading or writing to my DOS drives from FreeBSD
(I'm running 2.2-ALPHA now).  But some others say they have.

By the way, since it's the next question us current/former DOS users ask,
to mount a DOS extended partition, use slice 5.  You'll need to make the
device first as it isn't made by default.  E.g. for an extended partition
on your second IDE drive:

      cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV wd1s5       #  Only need to do this once per release
      mkdir /dos2
      mount -t msdos /dev/wd1s5 /dos2

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com