Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 20:31:45 +0200
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@tanya.raggedclown.intra>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ideal swap partition space...

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 02:32:31PM +0200, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 05:15:12AM -0500, default wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm curious about setting up the amount of space for the swap partition...
> > is there any ideal amount for FreeBSD? Or is it dependant on the size/type
> > of hard drive & other hardware that one has? If so, is there any kind of
> > equasion or theory behind determining what is the best amount to provide for
> > the best performance?
> >
> > Is there such a thing as a swap partition that is too large?

<snip>
This is one of those questions that may be described as perennial.
I believe no-one on the planet knows the right answer...lol.

Take your pick...

1) The same size as the amount of ram you have
2) -ditto- 1) but plus a "bit"
3) Twice the size of the Ram you have
4) -ditto 3) but plus a "bit"
5) Your mother's favourite number plus 100

I don't think you create a problem by having too large a swap
space (unless you are really tight on disk space). It is more
critical on machines with a "small" amount of ram that you have
enough for swapping, quite what "small" means depends on what
you are using the system for. Super-annuated programs like
"netscape" eat memory like it is going out of fashion.

I always choose option 3) .. I like the sound of it .. hee hee.
It is somewhat ridiculous that I have 512MB of RAM and 1 Gig of
swap space, but I have a big disk .. so ...

Btw I am not sure what FBSD does, but UN*X type systems usually
just randomly assasinate processes when they run out of virtual
memory (i.e. real memory + swap).

--
Regards
Cliff