Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:39:41 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT vs Linux vs FreeBSD

Brett Glass wrote:

> At 12:28 PM 7/14/99 -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
>
>  >But it's still FreeBSD.  Regardless of whether you buy the WC 4 disk set
> >or the CheapBytes 1 disk set, you get the same kernel, the same configuration
> >files, the same libraries, the same operating system.
>
> By that definition, Red Hat and Caldera would be the same distribution.

They would be if they shipped the same configuration files, libraries, etc.
They do not.  They ship the same kernel, with differing RedHat and Caldera
configuration files, userland utilities, libraries, X servers, etc.

This is not the case with CheapBytes and Walnut Creek FreeBSD discs.  Cheap-
Bytes takes the same kernel, libraries, utilities, and installation program
and creates a single disc.  Walnut Creek fills 3 additional disks with more
binary packages, more source distributions, a live filesystem, and the CVS
repository, but the entire operating system is the same.

> > > Yes, but clearly it was too subtle for some folks to catch.
> >
> >No, you thought you had a point to make, but you were mistaken.  The Cheap-
> >Bytes FreeBSD disc is roughly equivalent to disc 1 from Walnut Creek,
>
> But it is not identical. It contains a different installation program and
> a different selection of third-party applications and utilities. This is
> the same distinction which exists between Linux distributions.

This is going nowhere, you're just disagreeing to disagree.  As usual.
The CheapBytes disc is a subset of what is on the Walnut Creek disk, but
the system installed in your hard disk after running either install is
the same.  This is NOT true with Red Hat vs. Caldera (vs. Debian vs. etc)
and no matter how many times you say it is, it STILL won't be.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com