Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 21:47:38 +0000 (WET)
From:      freebsd@bug.fe.up.pt
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCSI host adapter...

Hi.

Soon I'll upgrade my machine's disk sub-system from IDE to SCSI
but I have some doubts.

Which SCSI host adapter should I buy? I was thinking about
the Adaptec 2940UW but it is soooo expensive here (aprox.
$330) that I thought about the ASUS PCI-SC875 (Symbios
Logic 53C875) which is much cheaper. Which one performs
better?

I also know that the ASUS adapter only supports SCSI-2
so I won't be able to plug a Quantum Atlas II (UW, SCSI-3)
that I am planning to buy. Am I right?

I've heard that from time to time some problems appear
on the Adaptec driver and I've never heard anything similar
about the cards with Symbios chips. But as I know that
wcarchive.cdrom.com is running with 2 Adaptecs 3940 it
shouldn't be a problem, right?

I've also heard about the DPT host adapters, which are
very fast trusting the company that produces these cards.
Anyone with experiences on those? I might go with the
inexpensive ASUS card now and buy a DPT latter instead
of the Adaptec... (FYI this is for my home machine and
I can't spend to much money on it)

Thanks in advance