Date:      11 Oct 1999 01:50:16 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backup method reccommendation?

Paul D . Schmidt <pds@uberhacker.org> wrote:

> come up with a good method for backing up my system.  I was reading about
> dump/restore, but a dump backup couldn't be used to restore from a 3.2
> system to a 3.3 system,

How did you get that idea?
I strongly suggest to use dump/restore.

> I thought about using tar, then I can just tar everything up and then
> selectively restore files or directory trees....

tar as shipped with FreeBSD can't backup all devices in /dev.

> but I'm a bit confused about the multi-volume aspect of tar....would
> the following command line prompt me to change tapes after it has
> backed up 2GB? (and keep going thru as many tapes as it needs?)
>
> tar cvplML 1930 /

Yes.
You probably don't want tar to be verbose here. Also, the p modifier is
a nop for creating archives. Your root file system is 2+ GB large?

> (I did some experiments and it uses the tape drive properly w/o an f arg)

Coincidence. tar defaults to some device, but this default varies,
e.g. I see an increasing number of Linux people who take it for
granted that tar uses stdio by default. I strongly suggest to always
either name the archive explicitly with the f modifier or to set the
TAPE environment variable.

> Also, I would need to do something like mt rewind before starting my
> backup, correct?

Customarily tapes are rewound at the end of the backup. Also, some
(all?) tape drives rewind any newly inserted tape.

> Since you have to explicitly state the tape size on the command
> line I'm assuming I have to pretend the hardware compression isn't
> there and just use the maximum guaranteed size of 2GB as opposed
> to "up to 4GB"?

You shouldn't need to give the tape size. There's a well established
standard for the driver to return a short write when it meets the
end of tape. The backup program will recognize this and prompt for
a new tape. Both tar and dump support this. Try it. If it doesn't
work (I guess this feature is somewhat prone to breakage) send in
a bug report.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de