Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:00:57 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Bj=F6rk?= <johan@qbrick.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   nfs_getpages: error 70

Hi folks,

I have problems with a NFS client. We run HelixServer
(realnetwork.com) on a FreeBSD 4.9-RC. For a while now
I see lots of nfs_getpages: error 70 and vm_fault: pager read error,
  pid xxxx in /var/log/messages.

Turning Helix into debug mode says that it caught Signal 11 at the
same time the kernel is reporting the error.

In fstab my only options for nfs is ro,noatime,noexec. I search the
nfs/nfsproto.h for 70 (did I found the right code?)

nfsproto.h:#define      NFSERR_STALE 70

Thats sounds like a timeout problem with the NFS server? Checked
for CRC error, none. Change the ethernet cable, still errors.

Is there some other option that I should use with mount_nfs?
The NFS server does not log any errors. I don't use rpc.statd.

(Search google.com, found nothing about error 70)

What should I try to debug the problem? Any other idea?

netstat -s
udp:
         295182895 datagrams received
         0 with incomplete header
         10 with bad data length field
         49361 with bad checksum
         3993 with no checksum
         12005 dropped due to no socket
         20374 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket
         2776675 dropped due to full socket buffers
         0 not for hashed pcb
         292324470 delivered
         916970862 datagrams output
ip:
         924177006 total packets received
         0 bad header checksums
         0 with size smaller than minimum
         0 with data size < data length
         0 with ip length > max ip packet size
         0 with header length < data size
         0 with data length < header length
         0 with bad options
         0 with incorrect version number
         395847710 fragments received
         0 fragments dropped (dup or out of space)
         173 fragments dropped after timeout
         65388970 packets reassembled ok
         591382679 packets for this host
         2335290 packets for unknown/unsupported protocol
         0 packets forwarded (0 packets fast forwarded)
         297 packets not forwardable
         0 packets received for unknown multicast group
         0 redirects sent
         1426827921 packets sent from this host
         0 packets sent with fabricated ip header
         44620 output packets dropped due to no bufs, etc.
         0 output packets discarded due to no route
         165 output datagrams fragmented
         352 fragments created
         0 datagrams that can't be fragmented
         0 tunneling packets that can't find gif
         0 datagrams with bad address in header

nfsstat -c
Client Info:
Rpc Counts:
   Getattr   Setattr    Lookup  Readlink      Read     Write
Create    Remove
   2098513         0    181623         2 210688645         0
  0         0
    Rename      Link   Symlink     Mkdir     Rmdir   Readdir
RdirPlus    Access
         0         0         0         0         0       952
  0   5390649
     Mknod    Fsstat    Fsinfo  PathConf    Commit    GLease
Vacate     Evict
         0       972        12         0         0         0
  0         0
Rpc Info:
  TimedOut   Invalid X Replies   Retries  Requests
         0         0      1494     30680 218359803
Cache Info:
Attr Hits    Misses Lkup Hits    Misses BioR Hits    Misses BioW
Hits    Misses
  31881136   5697424   7730350    181623  12737239    175415
  0         0
BioRLHits    Misses BioD Hits    Misses DirE Hits    Misses
         0         2       971       951       943         0

--
Cheers
Johan Björk

Public PGPkey: http://www.qbrick.com/pgpkey/johan.asc