Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:39:54 -0800
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ath0 timeout problem - again

JoaoBR wrote:
> On Saturday 30 December 2006 18:37, Sam Leffler wrote:
>> JoaoBR wrote:
>>> 572 cabq frames transmitted
>>> 11 cabq xmit overflowed beacon interval
>>>

>>>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet DS/11Mbps mode 11b <hostap>
>> So one other thing came to mind.  If your ap is operating in 11b and you
>> have many multicast frames q'd up for power save stations then they can
>> effectively saturate the network if they are being trasnmitted at a low
>> tx rate (which they would be).  This can effectively DOS your wireless
>> network because the frames are burst immediately following the beacon.
>

> hum, let's see ...
>
> this is an ISP environment
> as unlikely the AP goes to sleep while rx/tx the client station either

Don't know where this comment came from.  Noone ever suggested the
machine operating as an ap goes to sleep.

> we block incoming traffic, we sell internet access so there will no access to
> the station which might match the case you brought up, the station request
> access to a site and get reply, when the station "sleeps" (if) then there is
> no considerable tx to it
>

>> The driver limits the burst interval so it does not overflow into the
>> next beacon but it's allowed to fill all available time to the next
>> beacon frame (something I've considered changing for just the reason I
>> described).  This has always been an issue.  You might try rate limiting
>> these frames or just hack the driver to violate the spec and not buffer
>> them for tx after the beacon (to see if your problem goes away).
>
> ok I understand, this certainly is another point we have problems with but we
> did exactly what you mentioned.
>
> The tx buffer on the AP, once getting used is never released even if never
> getting to fill it up to the configured limit - this I consider so far a
> problem but not related to the problem we discuss

Sorry I do not understand this but you say it is not related.

> but let me ask, certainly the same problem could come up when for instance the
> client has a bad signal (bad caox or connector, antena misplaced or local
> interference) and the AP can not tx to this station in this exact moment when
> his signal drops right?

Sorry, again I do not understand your point.  I guess you're asking how
do people deal with radio sources jamming the frequency, there's nothing
you can do if someone doesn't honor the 802.11 protocols.