Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 1995 08:46:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        Marino.Ladavac@aut.alcatel.at (Marino Ladavac)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: httpd as part of the system.

Not bad at all:

> 		User and Reference Manual, for manpages;

> 		User Guide, for the classic guide; and

> 		Interactive User Guide and Tutorial, for the httpd stuff?

One quibble: "User" and "Reference" are orthogonal concepts. I'd drop the
"and". It's not a "User Manual" and a "Reference Manual" combined.

It's really not just a "User Manual" either, but I don't want to see it
split into "User Manual" (1, 6), "Programmer's Manual" (2, 3, 4), and
"Administrator's Manual" (5, 7, 8) like System V did.

Reference Manual might not be pretty, but it's accurate.

(The System V manuals at their peak were the *worst*. They took 2 and 3 and
 combined them with a set of commands they considered programming commands
 and put them in one programmer's volume. They took f77(1), struct(1), and
 the 3F stuff and put it in another. They took the rest of 1 and some of
 5 and called it the users reference manual. System administrator's got
 most of the rest so you had to have the system admin book to find out how
 termio worked. I think Awk was in the C manual. It was awful... no doubt
 it made lots of $$$ for Prentice Hall or whoever)