Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2000 07:24:00 +1100
From:      "Jeff Fulton" <jefff@fulton.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PPPoE server

I'm tryin to set up a simple PPPoE server on a system running 4.1-S.  (I
just want to trace the startup traffic from a PC-based pppoe login client
that is misbehaving on a network that I can't get close to, so I'm trying to
simulate the server).

The system has a de0 ethernet nic, and this works fine when enabled for
normal traffic.  However, when I try and start pppoed on this interface with
a command like:

/usr/libexec/pppoed -d de0

I get the error:

Sending NGM_LISTHOOKS to de0:
de0: Cannot send a netgraph message: Invalid interface

(de0 is up and running with a statically assigned IP)

What obvious mistake have I made?

Thanks,
Jeff Fulton