Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:24:15 -0400
From:      Mixtim <mixtim@mixtim.homeip.net>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 09:16:04AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Here's the thing.  I thought that was a great idea - until I started
> installing (ick) RedHat 7.1 on a few machines here at the office.  It
> has everything closed off, so remote access is not possible off the hat
> (ssh will work, but you have to add a local non-root user).

I should have stated ssh as an exception. You almost always have to have
it running. Of course, logging in as root and executing the sshd command
only takes a few seconds.

> Plus, anyone installing FreeBSD should have a good idea that they are
> installing an OS that has many servers running, some possibly easy to
> hack.

If CodeRed taught us anything it is that there are more than enough
clueless admins on the net. Just because someone installed FreeBSD
doesn't mean they are that much more intelligent.

Then why is there a security@freebsd.org address?