Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 2014 19:35:01 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>, Chuck Burns <break19@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] pkg(8) is now the only package management tool

--nextPart3179255.SrbDrKX4dD

On Tuesday 02 September 2014 03:44:26 Michelle Sullivan wrote:
> Chuck Burns wrote:
BSD.org
> >>=20
> >> And for the portsnap users?
> >=20
> > Uhh.. continue using portsnap?  Why would that matter??
>=20
> Because those who have not changed to pkg because of the continual
> changes and issues (and that I have 50+ servers to migrate - and was
> told that bapt was going to *knowingly* break the ports tree for anyo=
ne
> not upgraded on Sept 1 - just 1 day after the EOL - with just 20 odd
> days notice)=20

20 days notice?!?  Where have you been?

The first mention I can find of an actual deprecation is October 2012 w=
here it=20
says it'll be on or after April 2014, after the EOL of the last release=
 that=20
used pkg_install - which was 8.3:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2012-October/078937.h=
tml

There was a series of larger notices, eg:
Oct 10, 2012:
[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] [HEADSUP] current switched by default to pkgng=

July 2013:
[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] [HEADSUP] No more pkg_install on HEAD by defau=
lt

October 30, 2013:
[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] Official FreeBSD Binary Packages now available=
 for=20
pkgng
.. which includes
"The pkg_install suite of tools pkg_create(1), pkg_add(1), and
pkg_info(1) (which ports also use), are deprecated and will be
discontinued in roughly 6 months."

4 months later, (Feb 2014) formally gave an additional 6 month warning:=

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-announce/2014-Februar=
y/000077.html

And a giant flashing light was added at the same time in Feb 2014:

=2D----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D
r342537 | bapt | 2014-02-04 06:23:08 -0800 (Tue, 04 Feb 2014) | 6 lines=

Add a user warning so that everyone get a notice about the upcoming EoL=
 of=20
pkg_install
Add a end user NO_WARNING_PKG_INSTALL_EOL to allow users willing to sta=
y a bit=20
more with pkg_install
to not get bothered all the time with the warning
=2D----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D

It's really loud and annoying:

+.if !defined(WITH_PKGNG) && !defined(NO_WARNING_PKG_INSTALL_EOL)
+WARNING+=3D=09"pkg_install EOL is scheduled for 2014-09-01. Please con=
sider=20
migrating to pkgng"
+.if !defined(WITH_PKGNG)
+=09@${ECHO_CMD} "@exec echo pkg_install EOL is scheduled for 2014-09-0=
1.=20
Please consider migrating to pkgng" >> ${TMPPLIST}

Those warnings are kind of hard to miss.

This has been in the pipeline for years and was highly visible.

=2D-=20
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI=
6FJV
UTF-8: for when a ' or ... just won\342\200\231t do\342\200\246