Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 19:56:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
To:        Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: WaveLan-like cards and wi0

This is a bit off the topic, but I have been contemplating wireless
ethernet for a while and one thing has always eluded me -- exactly what
cards are supported and under what driver? I know of several cards, but
you mention the linksys and d-link cards... Are those just wavelan
copycats? Is there a list anywhere cross referencing manufacturer and
driver?

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Peter Seebach wrote:

> I'm actually debugging a NetBSD driver, but the drivers are fairly similar,
> and code is likely to get shared.

> driver.  If the support works, it may be of some use in FreeBSD too.
>
> The problem:  If an Apple Airport changes configuration state within hearing
> distance of the BSD box, *boom*, the card stops responding to anything until
> it's reset.  Everything always times out (busy bit stays set).  This applies
> to:
> 	* Airport turned on
> 	* Airport turned off
> 	* Airport changed from looking for a base station to
> 	  computer-to-computer (read infrastructure to ad-hoc)
> Note that I'm talking about an airport card, *not* a base station.
>
> If the Mac is not using Airport, my pair of BSD boxes can talk fine. If
> the Mac is using airport, they can talk fine.  If it switches state, they
> both die.
>
> This is both Linksys and D-Link cards, but they're really just generic PRISM 2
> cards, no special magic.
>
> I've checked every interrupt bit; the only interrupts I'm masking out right
> now are the clock tick and the command done interrupt, and those only because
> they happen all the time anyway.  Neither seems like it should be relevant.
>
> BTW, I'm not normally on this list, and I'm not much of a kernel guy.  Please
> be patient with me.  :)
>
> -s

          Wesley N Morgan                       _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
          morganw@chemikals.org                     _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
          FreeBSD: The Power To Serve                  _ |___/___/___/
          6bone: 3ffe:1ce3:7::b4ff:fe53:c297