Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:05:27 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        "Kave p.Ram" <hotkaveh@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory management in BSD

* Kave p.Ram <hotkaveh@hotmail.com> [000322 15:52] wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I have a question on memory management in FreeBSD .
> suppose i write a bogus piece of software which just allocates
> about 5 Mb of memory without freeing it later .
>
> if i run this software 10 times then I have allocated totally about
> 50 Mb of available memory. (but not at once)
>
> my question is : if a dumb person like me forget to free the allocated
> memory dedicated to this piece of code , how does the system (after the end
> of execution ) knows that those memory areas that this software used is free
> to reuse ?

When the program exits its memory will be free'd back to the system, if
the program doesn't exit and the memory is needed, it's likely that the
memory will be swapped out to disk, if you run out of swap and memory the
system is likely to get cranky and nuke a process in order to free up
some resources.

-Alfred