Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 2000 10:29:35 +0100
From:      Matt Proctor <mtp@lyveden.demon.co.uk>
To:        joerg@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, matthew.proctor@ssmb.com
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: bsddip-1.02

Hi,

I downloaded this package yesterday (source code) to compile at home and
I am running FreeBSD 3.4, which I got on a CD with a book. I have not
downloaded any patches/upgrades yet (which could be part of the
problem?)

Basically I have 2 questions:

1) In order to just get this to compile I had to add #include lines to
files such as /usr/include/net/slcompress.h (and about 2 or 3 other
files in the /usr/include tree). I was always under the impression that
the system include files were pretty much inviolable?

2) Once I _did_ get it compiled, it wouldn't run. First it kept telling
me I didn't exist because it's call to getpwuid() was failing, and when
I commented that out, a call to malloc was failing when I tried to use
the 'port cuaa1' command. I wrote a small program to use getpwuid() and
it was fine for me??

Any help you can give me would be gratefully received! My next step will
be to install the upgrade 3.4->3-stable package, and probably to try dip
again as a package rather than as source, but the editting of include
files particularly bothers me.

thanks
Matt Proctor
matthew.proctor@ssmb.com (or matt@lyveden.demon.co.uk)