Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:20:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Carl Makin <carl@xena.IPAustralia.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5-Stable on a Dell 1855 blade

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Carl Makin wrote:

> Morning All,
>
> Is anyone running 5-stable on a Dell 1855 Blade Server?
>
> We're looking at a couple of enclosures to replace a heap of Dell
> 4300/6300s that have been running FreeBSD 4 without any problems over
> the past few years.

Can't speak to the 1855, but -CURRENT runs great on a 6300 :-)

> I'm interested in SMP war stories, PERC4/IM support (The mpt driver
> hopefully will work with them) and general impressions.

My last experience with the Integrated Mirroring on mpt on an IBM eSeries
355 was overwhelmingly bad. It looked like the chip wasn't mirroring
right; sysinstall would panic during or shortly after newfs.  I plan on
trying this again soon since we have one of those out of service for a
flaky power supply.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org