Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:00:23 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        Steve M <slavik944@metconnect.com>, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I troubleshoot a PPP/PAP/chat connection?

On Sunday 21 January 2001 18:12, Steve M wrote:
> Since I havent gotten any responses to my first 2 emails maybe I'll
> try to ask it a different way.
>
> Using ppp I try to dial into my ISP, it's able to dial in easy enough
> but shortly thereafter it fails.  Checking the /usr/var/log/ppp.log
> file shows that a 'TIMEOUT' was 'expected, telling me it's a chat
> script failure.
>
> I have a timeout in my default definition of my ppp.conf file and I
> tried adding and changing 'set timeout' to no avail. In term mode I
> can succesfully get some kind of response from the server I'm dialing
> into. I can accomplish this part by exiting term with ~p.  However
> using this procecdure it tells me that my computer is sending empty
> authuser, after a few lines of 'MAGIC NUMBER' and things like that
> nature. I can see this by tail -f /var/log/ppp.log, it scrolls
> through with all sorts of info. I have set authuser and set auth(the
> password one) setup in my ppp.conf file. Then it follows by telling
> me 'unable to access ppp.secrets'.  I didnt have one so I set it up,
> but still it failed, except when I setup ppp.secrets it was'nt
> explicit as to why it had failed. Anyway what I'm really looking for
> is some help on being able to decipher exactly where my chat script
> is failing.  I have the set log lcp (etc)..... set in my ppp.conf
> file but it so far doesnt show me enough for me to understand where
> I'm going wrong. I've tried many different combination's and am
> starting to belive that my ISP has an unconventional PAP
> autentication procedure.  If anyone can be kind enough to tell me if
> there is anyway to actually see what the converstation looks like
> between my computer and the server I would appreciate it.  If the
> answer is right in front of me (i.e by looking into /var/log/ppp.conf
> file) I would appreciate it if someone would point out how or where I
> can go to figure out how to understand it. I've been dialing my ISP
> numerous times and fear I'm running up an enormous phone bill.

Hello
Well to see what the dialog between you and your ISP looks like
use "minicom" to do a terminal emulator type connection.
When I do this..I get a prompt for login, password and protocol.
That helps with that part.

"authuser" are you sure you shouldnt be using "authname"
My ppp.conf has:

set phone 12345678
set authname baggins
set authkey bagend