Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 13:19:37 -0700
From:      jehova <tornadox@telnor.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: TrueType fonts

have you changed to lowercase .TTF files?
X needs to see lowercase ttf's, write or search a shell script
for convert uppercase file names to lowercase, if you which
i have this tiny script, maybe this helps to your problem.

On Sunday 19 May 2002 12:23, PJourdan wrote:
> I have searched google and found much on the the subject, but
> nothing definitive or clear.
> environment: FreeBSD 4.5 release; Xfree86 v. 3.3.6; KDE3. all
> work fine... Tried to install TrueType fonts. After much mucking
> about I did get it to work for the brief time that I checked it.
> After shutdown & reboot - all was lost and no way to get it up
> again.
> I took the folowing steps:
> 1. install Xfstt - OK.
> 2. create directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType - OK.
> 3. copy *.ttf fonts to the directory - OK.
> 4. cd /usr/port/x11-fonts/ttmkfdir && make install - OK.
> cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType && ttmkfdir > fonts.scale -
> OK. cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType && mkfontdir - OK. 5.
> add to XF86Config:FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
> - OK. (by the way, there are no "Module" sections in XF86Config
> by default and, as I saw later, it doesn't seem to be necessary
> to add such a section) 6. Start X and see if the new fonts are
> available. - Nyet When I first ran ttmkfdir, it created the
> fonts.scale file although with some errors (unrecognized foundry
> or something to that effect) and then mkfontdir did create the
> font.dir.
> Then I found xset ! . I started up xfstt, starx and did xset fp+
> inet/127.0.0.1:7101. All of a sudden,the fonts were there in the
> konqueror configuration stuff. Only, if I remember correctly, I
> had to run the xset from KDE3 since otherwise it gives the
> message: unable to open display. Then I restarted and since then
> nothing, NADA, NYET, NIX: no way to set up TrueType.
> Now when I set up XF86Config and startx, I get the usual
> message: Fatal server error: could not open default font
> 'fixed'.
> I cannot find any reference as to exaclty where xset is supposed
> to make the changes.
> xset q shows what the current settings are but there is no clue
> as to where these settings are or how to find them. And they are
> definitely different from those in XF86Config since they show
> paths to .kde directories. I would really appreciate some help
> in understanding this stuff and getting TrueType to work. I
> stumbled on it once and it obviously was only a temporary
> set-up.
> Thanks in advance,
> Phil Jourdan

    tornadox@telnor.net                  _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |  |
           "Extracting Wisdom from Sinful...                ()
           ...Searching State of Purity."