Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:34:18 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Glenn McCalley <freebsd@mail.bnetmd.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named crashing 8.2.2

--5QAgd0e35j3NYeGe

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 11:38:43AM -0500, Glenn McCalley wrote:
>=20
> Wathing the exchange on "named crashing"...
> and Uh Oh - come to think of it we had several named crashes within a
> couple of days a short while ago - nothing since - but just checked and we
> *are* running BIND 8.2.2.  Checked CERT and sure enough there's that
> advisory.

You need to subscribe to one of the mailing lists where we distribute
FreeBSD Security Advisories - see http://www.freebsd.org/security,
this problem has been known and published for a while now.

> So!  Upgrading BIND shouldn't be a big deal.
> But what's the chances we are harboring one of the Bad Guys - and if
> so whats the prodedure?  Wipe, re-install and upgrade BIND?  Is there
> something less than completely wiping the drives?

Difficult to say, but an exploit is actively being used out there.  To
be safe, you should treat your system as having been compromised.
Save any data to a backup, wipe and reinstall the *entire OS*, then
reload your data from the backup, being careful not to load any
binaries from backup since they might have been compromised.  Your
data may have been compromised too, so check that carefully too
(e.g. website defaced, bogus host entries added to your DNS zones,
user accounts added to password files, unauthorized SSH keys added to
root account, etc).

If you do anything less than this you'll never know whether you got
rid of the intruder, since he could still be lurking via the use of a
cleverly hidden backdoor.

Kris

--5QAgd0e35j3NYeGe

--5QAgd0e35j3NYeGe--