Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:15:38 +0200 (Romance Daylight Time)
From:      "Henrik Poulsen" <henrik42@e-mail.dk>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HP LaserJet 1000

Hi all,

Did anyone get the HP LaserJet 1000 to work under FreeBSD?

I am running a dual-boot system. Under Windows XP my LaserJet 1000 works =
just fine.
But under FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE I cannot get it to work.

When I boot, FreeBSD recognizes the USB and the printer.
ohci0: <SiS 5571 USB controller> mem 0xdfffe000-0xdfffefff irq 11 at devi=
ce 2.2 on pci0
usb0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
usb0: <SiS 5571 USB controller> on ohci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: SiS OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard hp LaserJet 1000, rev 1.10/1.20, addr 2, iclass 7/=
1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
(and by the way, I have a "memory stick" which works fine on the USB).

I have the newest HP drivers, and converted them with
# arm2hpdl SIhp1000a.IMG > SIhp1000.dl

However, when I try to download the firmware, FreeBSD complains:
# cat SIhp1000.dl > /dev/ulpt0
cat: stdout: Input/output error

The LED on the printer turns off for a brief moment, and the console utte=
rs:
ulpt0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
ulpt0: detached
ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard hp LaserJet 1000, rev 1.10/1.20, addr 2, iclass 7/=
1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

Now, if I try to print a zm file generated by foo2zjs, I just get this me=
ssage, and no reaction from the printer:
# cat testpage.zm > /dev/ulpt0
cat: stdout: Input/output error

Any suggestions would be most welcome...

Henrik   (-:

                                                                         =
                                                                         =
                                                                         =