Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 18:41:44 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        gh <grasshacker@linkfast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP Program Support

* gh <grasshacker@linkfast.net> [000405 18:36] wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I understand that some programs do not support SMP under Windows; they run
> on only one processor.
> Is this the case with FreeBSD/unix? dependent on the program?

It's firstly dependant on the program, then dependant on the operating
system. Afaik windows 95/98 doesn't support multiple processors so if
even if the application supports it you're still out of luck.  FreeBSD
supports multiple processors but it's still up to the individual
programs to take advantage of that.

> Also, in Windows 2000 there is the option of setting "affinity" of
> applications to specific processors in an SMP system. I presume that FreeBSD
> has this? (because FreeBSD is *better*). If so, what is it and where can I
> find more information?

This is not currently supported, but is being considered.