Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 13:36:07 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lcremeans@erols.com>
To:        Wayne M Barnes <stabilizer@klentaq.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ISA internal modem (was PCI)

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 12:13:03PM -0600, Wayne M Barnes wrote:
> Dear Stable,
>
>     Okay, I got another modem.  Couldn't find PCI as fast as ISA,
> so I got an ISA.
>
>     Now my system can find sio2 and configure /dev/cuaa2.
>
>     I tried to just take a baby step to try things out.  I figured
> to run ppp manually to see if things are connecting at all.
> 'ppp' seems to start up ppp ON correctly ["Working in interactive mode"].
> 'term' seems to have read my ppp.conf file, since it knows to connect
> to /dev/cuaa2.
> Now I try a simple 'AT' command to see if the modem can hear my typing.
>
> The echo of the modem seems to lag 1 character behind.  That is, I only
> see the A after I type the T, and I only get the T after I hit Enter.
> Modem responds OK.
>
> More trouble:
> ATDT 5120027   This dials up my provider modem, but
>
> *Unless* I hit Enter, few characters come through.
> Error message:
> ... /kernel: sio2: 1 more silo overflow (total 1)
>
> Each time I hit enter, a few more characters come through, until login:

This sounds like it may be an IRQ conflict, at first glance. Is anything
else trying to use that IRQ? If it has jumpers, use them and mark off the
IRQ as used in the BIOS (this way, PnP won't try to map things on top of
it).

Also, does this modem have a Lucent DSP1673 on it, per chance? I have an ISA
modem (an ActionTec) with one of those, and it will drop chraracters and
give me tons of silo-overflow messages unless I throttle the line speed to
38400 (I get the feeling its 16550 emulation is broken; it's odd though
because the modem behaves fine with Win95's COM drivers).

-lee