Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 16:25:44 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, asmodai@wxs.nl, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS in CURRENT

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > and this new one named.conf with:
> > >
> > > options {
> > >         directory "/etc/dns";
> > > };
> > >
> > > is BIND 8?
> >
> > Yes. Presumably you also have some lines with
>
> The good thing about this is that, while the daemon is capable
> of fielding multiple outstanding requests, the libresolv that
> is part of libc is not.
>
> Oh, wait, that's not a good thing...
>
> I believe that ELF is a nice opportunity for us to seperate the
> resolver functions out of libc into libresolv, allowing us a
> better opportunity to track bind as a vendor branch from ISC.
>
> Someone with commit privs should see to this before the 3.0
> release...

It would be simple if we could have libc.so.3 in /lib and ld-elf.so.1 on
the root fs somewhere.

We can't dlopen() (easily) from static binaries yet.  We need to weaken
the libc interfaces a little so that the decision about "which malloc"
(ie: the one linked statically into the executable, or the one in libc.so)
isn't made until runtime.  Then, we could have a seperate resolver library
that was dlopened by libc, and libresolv.so.whatever would then link in
libc.so to get access to the missing functions, but everything will use
the functions that are presently linked into the static binary (eg:
malloc, stdio etc).  glibc has done this (I think, but they might have
done it for different reasons (such as symbol versioning)).

Then there's the issue of initializing rtld after the static program is
running..  Probably not out of the question, but not trivial I'd think.

The neat thing is that we could even get away with something like PAM or
an extensible username / hostname system that doesn't require linking
everything into all the static binaries.

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.