Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:10:27 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        dan@slightlystrange.org, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG " <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.7 Upgrade issue

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 09:50 am, Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 02:29:57PM +0000, rew wrote:
> > So you boot a new kernel with old system?
>
> Yes, but how is that so different from installing a new world for an old
> kernel?

And it's really usually not that big of a deal anyway.  I successfully ran a
4.3 kernel on a 4.7 system.  I could only make a few problems occur even when
trying.  top and ps worked just fine.  Besides, when you installworld, you
should be booting straight to single user mode, so not much is going on to
cause problems in installworld.  Of course don't try to do anything else when
world and kernel are out of sync.
Problems come in especially when trying to run a 3.x kernel on a 4.x system
and some other cases.

Tim