Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:04:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Natd stops working on Firewall

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Scot wrote:
> Just setup my FreeBSD 4.7 Firewall using the docs
> outlined in the handbook. The install went on and
> everything seems to be working fine then boom.
> The system seems to stop routing traffic. No
> messages in the security log or natd log as to why.

What happened when things stopped working?  (What was going on when it
went boom?)  Does /var/log/messages say anything?

> I made sure it was logging by nmaping my box from the
> outside. I even ran natd in the foreground and it still didn't
> tell me what was going on.

I assume you mean with -verbose or -v?  What flags do you usually give
natd (maybe paste natd.conf, if used)?

> There is nothing in any logfile that tells me why this thing
> just stops working so I'm thinking it may not be a daemon but
> something in the kernel.

More on this below...

> I cannot ping the interface from the internal network but tcpdump shows
> the packets being received. (Hub network firewall_type=SIMPLE ).

You edited rc.firewall $oif, $onet, etc. variables for your setup,
correct?  I'd assume so or it wouldn't work at all.  Take a look at your
rules with ipfw list or show.  Is ICMP allowed?  Also see firewall(7) for
more helpful notes.

> If I logon to the console the cable modem connection is still functioning
> and I can surf from the firewall.

So it's just the internal clients that cease to function?  If the
firewall/gateway itself is working properly, that may explain the lack of
problematic output in log files noted above.  OTOH, if you `sh
rc.firewall` with firewall_type="open" do the clients immediately begin to
work?

Is this something that works again each time you reboot?  Have you had
this working in the past, or is this a first attempt?

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American? Dissent's not treason but
they talk like it's the same..." --Sleater-Kinney, "Combat Rock"