Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 22:22:50 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        jonathan@graehl.org ("Jonathan Graehl")
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to create a bootable FreeBSD hard drive for transfer to a new machine?

On 14 Aug 2001 18:20:32 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you =
wrote:

>Is it possible to use sysinstall on a live FreeBSD machine with an extra
>disk as the destination?

Yes.  Pop in the new disk.  /stand/sysinstall.  fdisk it.  Make it
bootable. Exit out of sysinstall. Go back in and select the drive, go =
into
disklabel. (Not sure why you have to exit, but it sometimes does not work
for me if you dont). Create your disk slices as needed. One trick I use =
so
that you can create ad1s1a is to say its mount point is for /. Then just
toggle off the newfs flag.

I am sure there is a way to do it script wise with fdisk and disklable as
well.  But this method will work as well until you find the nicer =
solution.
The man pages say

dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/da0 bs=3D512 count=3D32
fdisk -BI da0
dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/da0s1 bs=3D512 count=3D32
disklabel -w -r -B da0s1 auto
disklabel -e da0s1

will work as well, but I have run into trouble this way. YMMV of course.

cd /;dump 0f - / | (cd /mnt-root; restore -rf - )=20
cd /;dump 0f - /usr | (cd /mnt-usr; restore -rf - )=20
cd /;dump 0f - /var | (cd /mnt-var; restore -rf - )=20

>Bonus points if someone can tell me how to build the new drive/system =
using
>the /usr/src build system.  (Yes, I know how to install world to/from =
NFS,
>etc. - just need help with the boot-time stuff, and transferring over =
stuff
>that installworld nomrally skips ... e.g. /etc, /dev, although I could =
just
>copy from my existing trees)

cd /dev;sh MAKEDEV all

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)