Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 21:45:12 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Very mysterious bug in 2.2.2

I've found a reproduceable (it happened to me twice) and very
mysterious bug in 2.2.2, though I'm afraid I can't give many
details on it.

If I switch on my modem, while X is starting up, the machine
locks up. The mouse hangs, the keyboard is dead, nothing. After
a few seconds, the machine reboots. There are no messages in
/var/log/messages. I can't say if a panic occurs, because the
graphical screen is still there (and it won't go away).

I'm running 2.2.2, installed from the CD-ROM, with the 2.2-STABLE
package installed. Services I'm running include HylaFax 4.0.1,
BISDN 0.91, FVWM95 2.0.43 and some other daemons like Apache,
Samba and a load of other packeges. All (except BISDN) are
installed either as package or port.

I know it isn't much, but does anybody have a clue?

- Peter