Date:        Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:56:56 -0600
From:      "Shannon Wheeler" <swheeler@altech.ab.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mounting an MS-DOS partition? - Tricky!

Well I keep seeing messages here asking people to set their clients to wrap
mail at 70 (or so) characters... Could I also ask people to trim the excess
addresses from the From: field when replying? I get enough mail from this
list already - I don't need two or more of each thread I'm involved in.
thanks.

It was actually never true that Windows needed to be in the first partition.
You may be thinking of MS-DOS?
I believe you can only install DOS in the Active primary partition (there
should only be one active partition). This isn't necessarily the first
primary partition. Some versions of DOS may have an additional restriction
of only being able to install in the first primary partition. I don't have
enough installable DOS versions, enough time, nor enough interest to test
this.

DOS can definately boot from other than the first primary partition though.
As long as it's an Active partition. Are you implying that some BIOSes
always boot from the first partition rather than the Active partition?

Shannon