Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:24:43 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Chris Byrnes <chris@jeah.net>
Cc:        John <papalia@udel.edu>, Simon <simon@optinet.com>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: WTF

> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:02:20 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Chris Byrnes <chris@jeah.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Nothing in the log.
>
> I changed the CPU from an AMD K6 300 to an AMD K6-2 500.. Are there any
> known issues with that processor type/speed?

Thermal! My K6 ran well for the most part, but a buildworld would
raise the temperature by 20 degrees (C) and then I would either an 11
or a 4. I popped the heat sink/fan and added a THIN layer of heat sink
grease (available at most any electronics outlet inc. Radio Shack),
replaced it, and buildworld ran fine. CPU temp went up, but never
exceeded 48 degrees (C).

Try running healthd (available in ports). Use "healthd -d" to
continuously print out the temps of things, if you mobo supports
it. (My ASUS P5A does.) It was certainly enlightening to see what was
happening!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)