Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:52:39 -0600
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@net-noise.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V5 #23

This is correct, but a bridge was originally used for connecting different
kinds of networks together into one network. For example, let's say you have
a 10base-T network (standard ethernet) and a 10base-2 (thinnet coax)
network. This happened a lot when companies were upgrading their networks.
You want to connect these two together seamlessly - so you use a bridge. In
homogenous networks, strict bridges are less useful, though they can serve
to break up a collision domain. If you have ever seen a two port switch,
then you get the idea. It allows you to fudge on the repeater rule, and can
help if you have a busy hub on your network that you would like to isolate.
It also allows you to connect different speed network segments today. Early
100BaseTx networks were incompatible with 10BaseTX network - and required a
bridge just as the old thinnet <-> ethernet networks did. Of course, this is
no longer much of a problem with 10/100 equipment.

Seth Henry
jshenry@net-noise.com