Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 20:02:19 -0500
From:      "Craig" <craignws@tampabay.rr.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Probing Devices Locks up Dell PC

A few days ago, I obtained the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp disks to install
FreeBSD on my Dell PC -- a Pentium III/1000Mhz, 256 megs RAM.

When I try to install FreeBSD, I get to the blue "probing devices" screen
and my PC locks up.  I can leave my PC on overnight and it will still be on
the same screen the next morning.

I've even gone into Windows and printed a System Resource Report of my
current IRQ and port settings for each hardware device and then matched that
information to the drivers screen in FreeBSD.  I'm using two Intel Ultra ATA
Controllers and am not using any SCSI devcies so I am disabling all of the
SCSI drivers from the selection list.  Also, I've tried disabling all of the
drivers such as all of the network drivers, etc.(except the bare minimum
like the floppy driver) and I still get stuck on the probing devices screen.

Can anyone help me get by this problem?  Pushing this reset button so many
times is starting to get annoying because it reminds me so much of Windows!

Thanks!

Craig