Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 12:00:54 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Serial Console - broken? (src as of 10/16 @ 16:43)

Hi,

I'm running a serial console for ddb etc. - This used to work great, but with
recent builds every time the system panic's, I get the usual details about the
panic, but it ends with:

"
current process         = Idle
interrupt mask          = bio  <- SMP: XXX
$T0b08:079713f0;05:784b80ff;04:644b80ff;#b4
"

Any key presses on the serial console result in
"04:644b80ff;#b4$T0b08:079713f0;" being displayed...

'Ah, serial port speed I thought', erm, nope - double checking /etc/make.conf
etc. it's set to 57600... Trying different speeds while it's in this state
doesn't net anything better (I get a lot of 'xxx's at lower speeds, which are
normal symptomatic of wrong serial speed).

The boot blocks know about the serial console - the first thing the machine
does when it boots is display the usage message etc. (I've reinstalled the
boot blocks just incase, no change though).

This was all working a couple of days ago, and now it doesn't appear to be...
Can anyone else who has a similar set-up (i.e. serial console) check this?

I've tried typing blindly things like 'panic' {enter} but all to no avail...
:-(

The machines running -current as of 10/16, 16:43 - and it's running SMP...

As a final ditch attempt I tried setting everything to 9600, but again with
the same results (albeit slower :)

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Karl